An Overview of Treating Pregnancy Discomfort at Stow Family Chiropractic
At Stow Family Chiropractic, one of the common conditions that we treat is pregnancy discomfort. When people think about a chiropractor, they often envision a doctor who helps patients with back pain. While this is a large part of what we do, we are also proud to provide pregnancy discomfort treatment as well. When a woman is carrying an unborn child, there are many changes that occur in the body and a number of reasons why discomfort might arise. At Stow Family Chiropractic in Stow, MA, we are here to help the local community with all of their chiropractic needs, even during pregnancy.
Why Does Pregnancy Cause Discomfort?
During pregnancy, there are several physiological and endocrinological changes that occur in preparation for creating a healthy environment for the developing baby.
The following changes can result in a misaligned spine or joints:
- Increased hormones – hormones released during pregnancy allow ligaments in the pelvic area to soften in preparation for the birthing process. The loosening of ligaments can cause pain in the lower back and sacroiliac joints.
- Protruding abdomen and increased back curve – your center of gravity will gradually move forward, resulting in posture shifts and extra pressure on your spine.
- Additional weight – your developing pregnancy will gradually affect your weight that your spine isn’t used to supporting
- Posture adaptation – poor posture, excessive standing, and bending over can trigger or escalate pain in your back and neck
- Stress – stress typically accumulates in the weak areas of the body, and due to the changes in your pelvic area, you may experience an increase in back pain during stressful periods of your pregnancy.
Is Chiropractic Care Safe During Pregnancy?
Not only is it safe to see a chiropractor while pregnant (according to the American Pregnancy Association), it’s also beneficial and can help relieve lower hip and back pain that affects approximately 50-70% of pregnant women.
Chiropractors can provide safe and effective personalized care throughout your entire pregnancy and in the postpartum period. A thorough examination will determine the best treatment to address your discomfort and prepare the body for the height of pregnancy and childbirth. We use specialized adjustment methods to accommodate the body during pregnancy, including a specific chiropractic table that extends to allow room for the belly during each stage of pregnancy, up until days before birth!
Benefits of Chiropractic Care During Pregnancy
- Nausea control – by aligning the spine and improving overall nervous system function, your hormones can achieve a healthier balance to eliminate or lessen the severity of morning sickness.
- Reduced sciatic and back pain – regular adjustments during pregnancy can help relieve back pain that stems from relaxed ligaments and joints due to the natural increase of the relaxin hormone.
- Faster, less complicated labor and delivery – receiving regular adjustments during your entire pregnancy can help ensure your pelvis, spine and hips are properly aligned and your nerves are in optimal working function.
- Overall healthier pregnancy – optimal nervous system function can result in fewer headaches, reduced swelling, more restful sleep, and optimal baby positioning.
Contact the Team from Stow Family Chiropractic
At Stow Family Chiropractic in Stow, MA, we are proud to provide chiropractic treatment to the people of our community. We believe that everyone deserves to have access to a healthcare provider who is going to place their needs first. If you would like to learn more about how we can help you, then please call us today at (978) 897-1770 to make an appointment. We look forward to meeting you!